Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Tama County Recorder will issue gay and lesbian marriage licenses

April 30, 2009
Traer Star-Clipper

By John Speer

Central Iowa Press

Gay and lesbian couples are able to apply and receive marriage licenses at the Tama County Recorder's Office. Recorder Deborah Kupka told The Chronicle last Friday she plans to comply with the Iowa Supreme Court decision which made the marriages legal in the state.

On Friday morning, Kupka said she had not yet been contacted by any couples who might be seeking licenses here.

Kupka said the license applications were to be available on Monday. However, she said the Supreme Court precedendo - a writ authorizing or directing to act - must be received by the Recorder's Office first.

On Friday, Kupka said it was known the order would come by email but it was unknown at what time or if the Supreme Court, Iowa Department of Health or some affiliate would be sending it.


Cost - $35

One witness must accompany the couple

Each applicant must provide a driver's license or photo I.D..

Applicants must be at least 18 year-old or at age 16 or 17 have signed waivers

Three-day waiting period unless waived by a judge



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web